After a lot of controversy in 2011, the South African Guild of Motoring Journalists (SAGJM) promised this year’s awards will only produce one winner. They kept to their word, and after a very complex judging process the winner was announced.
Congratulations go to Hyundai for winning the 2012 South African Car of the Year Award with their Elantra 1.8 GLS.
This is not the first Car of the Year Award Hyundai takes home in 2012. Earlier this year the Elantra won both the North American and Canadian Car of the Year titles. With the Kia Picanto 1.2 EX taking a very close second place, the Koreans have a lot to be proud of.
The 2012 finalists were:
- 2011 Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 125 kW MultiAir Distinctive
- 2011 Audi A6 3.0 T TDI Quattro S tronic
- 2011 Citroen DS4 THP 200 Sport
- 2011 Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI Trend Sedan Powershift
- 2011 Hyundai Elantra 1.8 GLS
- 2011 Kia Picanto 1.2 EX
- 2011 Mercedes Benz SLK 350 BlueEFFICIENCY
- 2011 Peugeot 5008 2.0 HDi Active Man
- 2011 Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 SDLX Man
- 2011 VW Jetta 1.4 TSI 118 kW Highline
“The SAGMJ WesBank Car Of The Year is South Africa’s most coveted accolade in the motor industry with a complex judging process by respected professionals. The winning car reflects value for money, safety, dynamics, technology, aesthetics, innovation and ingenuity, and evokes automotive passion and excitement.” – [www.wesbankcoty.co.za]